Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Civil Rights Memorial



I have taken better pictures of the Memorial, but cannot find my disc. These were taken in a hurry, while a security guard was coming to tell me to move my illegally parked car. Oops! It was a Sunday afternoon, so I thought it would be ok. I don't remember, a few years ago, having security and parking restricted around the Memorial. I read it is to keep people from vandalizing the area.

The memorial was designed by Maya Lin, who also designed the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in Washington, DC. The wall behind the memorial has the words, by Martin Luther King Jr (from his "I Have a Dream" speech) , inscribed on it saying , " until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream
Water does actually flow over this entire part of the memorial looking like a fine sheet of glass. Water also flows over the nearby Memorial itself, which is shaped like an inverted cone with a large flat top. On this flat surface are the names of 40 people, who died while fighting for equal rights and the end of segregation.

4 comments:

  1. I've not seen this memorial but have seen the one in DC. It's lovely. I'll have to find it the next time I'm in Montgomery. Thanks for pointing it out.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting theme for the memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful memorial and the quotation is just perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I am ashamed to say I've only been through Montgomery on my way to the RTJ course near there. Next time I'll have to stop and visit a little.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!